Saturday, February 4, 2012

A new title- RN

         On February Second  (a day I am glad I do not have to relive over again like in the movie Ground Hog's day) I went to Draper to take the NCLEX. This test was like taking boards for nursing to become licensed. I have been studying for this test by doing tons of practice questions everyday, studying with friends,  reviewing lab values, EKG strips, infection control precautions, etc.! The night before the test I was feeling anything but confident despite all of my preparations for the past several months! I was freaking out to say the least. Thankfully I have very supportive friends and family members and a loving Heavenly Father who always calms my troubled spirit. When I prayed the night before about it, I just got this very excited feeling about it and I was eager to take it and find out my results! This helped me feel at ease and walk into the testing center with confidence!
        It was the strangest nursing test I have ever taken! It asked the most random questions and I had so many select all that apply, which I never did well on when I was practicing! The minimum of questions you can get is 75, I was trying to prep myself for getting more than that and being in the testing center for hours, but right after I hit submit to question 75 it turned to a beautiful blue screen and I was done in two hours with the most important test of my life! Three years of hard work in nursing school somehow came down to two hours and 75 questions! Most people always feel like they failed after they took the test, I felt pretty indifferent about and just thought ok well what do I do now that I am done? I didn't feel like I did fantastic, but I guess because I had that reassuring feeling from my prayer from the night before I wasn't feeling to anxious. Some of my other nursing friends all had theirs shut off around 75 too and had passed (even though they say it isn't judged on that) and also found out in about 48 hours on the DOPL website.
       So last night I anxiously was checking it fairly frequently, but at 11:30 I received a text from one of my friends telling me to check out the site again since they had updated it and this is what I saw

Details for WHITNEY M BOOTH

License Information

Name:WHITNEY M BOOTH
City, State, Zip:PROVO, UT 84606
Profession:NURSE
License Type:REGISTERED NURSE
UNDER INTERSTATE COMPACT
License Number:8184855-3102
Obtained By:APPLICATION
License Status:ACTIVE
Original Issue Date:02/03/2012
Expiration Date:01/31/2013
Disciplinary Action:NONE
Docket Number:N/A


Education:

School NameMajorGraduation DateDegree
BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY2011-12-01BACHELOR OF SCIENCE


That's right I am officially a fully licensed, registered NURSE!!! It feels so good to be able to say that and I almost feel different in a way. As if I really have something new about me with this title!
I feel that I can go and change the world now... ya know one nursing home at a time! I can move forward at least with applying to jobs now. I still feel uncertain about where to go from here in my life, but for the past six months or more I just keep going back to the scripture in Proverbs 3:5-6

 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all they ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy path."

   That is what I am striving and I am going to do. Trust in Him and keep moving along. He brought me on this path and I know He will continue to guide me along.


I was able to meet up with two of  my favorite past roomies Alexis and Shalisa, along with their new families.

Life is good and I can officially change my blog signature from Student Nurse- SN BYU to RN!!! Will be updating on things I learn now as a new nurse.



2 comments:

  1. So happy for you, Whitney! Congrats on your happy news. I knew you could do it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Whitney that's great! :) So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete