Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Wit from Whit


Our class had to watch this amazing film called "Wit". It is amazing, inspiring, and gives an inside look into what a patient often goes through while dealing with a certain illness in the hospital. I highly suggest you watch it but make sure to watch it with a box of tissues. I swear I have been brought to tears in more of my nursing classes than I ever have before in school! Here is what I learned from watching it:


As I watched the movie wit I was unprepared to say the least as to what the film was truly about and how it would affect me. It truly has affected me and the way I hope to act within my capacity of health care.  In the first interaction in the film with Dr. Kelekian and Vivian I learned that it is important to really inform the patient of all possible treatments not just the one you want them to have. This is also important because sometimes a patient may not even know what questions they should be asking, giving all the information necessary can help them think it over and evaluate it for themselves.  One should also not assume that because the exterior seems tough that they are, they really may not be especially if they are going at it alone as she was.  That is what made me think more about the title of the film and what it meant. Usually wit is used in unsuspecting ways and it is a type of intellectual humor. Meaning that one has to dig deep beneath the disguise of words to what is really being said. I felt that in this film her wit is what kept it light at times despite her situation but underneath it all was really her screaming out for help. 
The young Doctor in this film drove me insane and I wished at times that I could jump in to stop him! Unfortunately there were characteristics in him that I saw in myself as well. He did not seem confident or calm in his assessments, and he did not really listen to the patient. He was only seeking for answers he wanted to hear and that could be useful to his research. I learned from watching him that I need to be aware of the tendency to just treat the body and not the patient as a whole entity.  I learned that is important to be confident in your practice, remember you are treating a patient not just a disease, and make them your number one priority. I have also learned that even though we have not experienced what our patient might be going through and taking care of them is our job, to remember that this is their life they are living everyday even when we are not there.
I was so grateful for the nurse Suzie and her compassionate nature in contrast with the pride of the others in the film. She really was the patient’s advocate and made sure she was well informed. I enjoyed how she was able to laugh at her mistakes and be a true caregiver to Vivian mostly by listening.  This laughter, human touch, and listening ear were vital to her care because she was not only undergoing chemotherapy but also life therapy. Vivian had a lot of time to think and come to the realization that under it all it was humanity that matter and kindness that made the difference or meaning in life.  I know that from watching this film I learned the importance of that fact and how precious life is, each should be treated with the utmost care.




No comments:

Post a Comment