Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What Stop Signs, X-rays, and achieving the impossible all really mean.

Well this week had some highlights that affected my way of thinking as a nurse. First of all one should always obey the rules and laws even when it seems inconvenient. I learned this as I was pulled over by a policeman on the way to clinical at 5:30AM for running a stop sign. I felt embarrassed and guilty when this happened and did not particular enjoy feeling that way. I applied this to nursing in the ways we follow all of the six rights. It is important to have follow through on these because you never know when you might mess up and get caught with unpleasant consequences for your patient and you. Thankfully the car full of girls I was carpooling with made this event a memorable one we can all laugh about together. The policeman also knew to chose his battles wisely when giving out tickets to nursing students and let me off with a warning. (Which still took me forever to resolve!) Secondly I learned what it felt like to learn some upsetting health news and dealing with the procedures that might follow. I tested positive for TB and had to have a chest X-ray, my first ever! I was frustrated that this was happening and felt uncomfortable as I donned a gown for the procedure. This helped me remember how a patient can feel uncomfortable lying there exposed to us during their care.


I thoroughly enjoyed Jay's presentation and was amazed by all of her accomplishments despite her disability. As she was talking I began to think about what really defines a disability because for Jay it almost seemed like her disability was only visible aspect of her while her will made up for any physical thing she lacked. I was just amazed at how she persevered through all of her trials. Here I was thinking how hard life was for me as I contemplated the tests, assignments, relationships, work, and other responsibilities I had, feeling completely inadequate. Jay however was up at the front of the room teaching us and telling us of her ability to accomplish a masters degree. I felt as if I really was the disabled one! I could not see the inner strength in myself as she did, nor realize my potential. I became to understand that the only really disability people have is lack of motivation, confidence, and belief in the impossible to be done. There may be physical limitations upon us but the only thing that really limits us is our will power to do something.
       This made me realize that I could do so much more with my life and witness the blessings of good health more. It made me see the potential in not only myself but in others around us. In nursing we tend to be helping others who cannot help themselves. This is a wonderful concept and should still be implemented but are we doing too much? I have come to realize that in clinicals I am often waiting on my patient hand and foot and not encouraging their independence. In future care I want to reasonably believe in people's capabilities and encourage a belief in themselves. I have come to realize that this is what nursing is to help people really heal. Just as we need the atonement to be forgiven we also need it to be healed. I should be helping people accomplish the highest quality of health possible in all aspects so that they too may get their master degrees and contribute to the world with their own capabilities. It should be a focus on what we can do not necessarily everything we cannot do. I feel that this was the message Jay was giving us that we can do things and people with disabilities are children of God also sent here with a purpose and can contribute to a meaningful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment